1/1 Photo of Brown Sugar Buns or Rolls
These are kind of like a cinnamon bun, but without the cinnamon and they're chewier. I actually got this recipe in my 7th grage home economics class and have hung onto it along the way! This was originally called Butterscotch Rolls but my daughter insists that they be called Brown Sugar Buns. Bet you can't eat just one!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Lightly grease a 12 cup muffin tin (I've used cooking spray and shortening with equal success).
- 2Cream together butter and brown sugar in small bowl and place a generous teaspoon of mixture in each muffin cup. Set the rest aside.
- 3In a large bown mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry blender, 2 knives or a fork incorporate shortening into flour until they're fully combined.
- 4Make a well in the center and gradually add milk, stirring with a fork until a moist dough forms.
- 5Turn dough out onto a floured surface and with a floured rolling pin roll as close as possible to a 30 x 30 cm (12 X 12 inch) square. Trim to form a square.
- 6Spread reserved brown sugar and butter mixture over top, reaching all 4 sides. An offset spatula works really well for this!
- 7Roll dough towards you and reposition seam side down. Slice in half, and then into quarters. Cut each quarter into 3 pinwheels, approx 1 inch each.
- 8Place 1 roll in each muffin cup, with the filling up.
- 9Bake in a preheated 425 oven for 12 minutes. I find they come out better when I turn my convection off so you may want to try that as well, if it applies. Keep an eye on them for the last couple of minutes -- you want to remove them from the oven while the sugar is still bubbling.
- 10Use a spoon to remove them to a rack to cool right away, before the sugar cools. I put waxed paper under the rack to make clean up easier.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brown Sugar Buns or Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (69 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 260.8
- Calories from Fat 114
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 22.4 mg
- Sodium 203.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 17.7 g
- Protein 2.7 g