Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
In the words of Michael Smith (one of my favourite Canadian chefs), "Everybody knows how good mashed potatoes are but if you really want to impress your friends and family try them with brown butter. You won’t believe how much flavour is locked into a stick of butter but you will believe these are the best-mashed spuds you’ve ever had!". Enjoy!
- 2 lbs potatoes, unpeeled (about four large)
- 1⁄2 cup salted butter (four ounces)
- nutmeg, freshly grated preferred
- salt and pepper
- Cut the potatoes into large chunks then steam, boil or microwave them until they’re tender. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, toss the butter into a small saucepot and heat it until it melts over medium heat. Because butter contains as much as twenty percent water it will then begin to steam and foam. Once the water has evaporated the foam will subside and the butter’s temperature will begin to rise. The milk fat solids that are one or two percent of the butter will then begin to brown.
- Continue watching as it begins foaming a second time. Swirl it gently, watching the colour, until it turns golden brown and releases the aroma of toasting nuts.
- Immediately pour the browned butter into a bowl to stop it from browning further.
- When the potatoes are tender mash in the butter, nutmeg and seasonings. Taste and season a bit more if needed. Then watch the bowl empty!
I scaled this back to 2 serves and it was perfect for 3 of us and I was surprised how good it was (even the DM gobbled up all of hers, a rareity when there is no cheese etc in it - just potatoes and nut brown butter, lovely). Thank you Nif, named for Went To Market.
Loved, loved loved this. Nice depth of flavor and love the nutmeg! Made for football pool 2011
Great mashed potatoes, very buttery and flavorful, to go along with our roasted chicken quarters. I am not a big fan of adding nutmeg to savory dishes, so just added a tiny shake and that worked out well for my tastes. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. Made for your win in the football pool, congrats my friend!!!