Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
The most delicious mashed potatoes ever! The scallions provide sweetness, and the brown butter adds a nuttiness. Please follow ingredient amounts exactly...I know it may seem like a lot of scallions but its not.
- Cover potatoes with cold water by 2 inches in a 5-to 6-quart heavy stock pot and add 1 1/2 teaspoons salt.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Drain potatoes in a collander, then return to pot and cook over moderate heat, shaking pot ocasionally, until dry, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Mash hot potatoes with masher or force through food mill into another pot, then cover to keep warm.
- Bring milk with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt just to a boil in a 1-quart saucepan, then remove from heat and stir into potatoes until combined.
- Stir in sour cream, then cover and keep warm.
- Cook butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat, stirring frequently and scraping up brown bits, until foam subsides and butter is golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- Add scallions and pepper and cook, stirring, until slightly softened, about 2 minutes.
- Fold butter mixture into mashed potatoes and season with salt.
These were great. I served this with my brined turkey. What a great side dish. Can't wait to try these with a baked ham.
Very good! Family loved them. Had to leave out the onions for my 8 yr old, but they were still delicious! Thanks JoJo!
Browned butter always makes me happy, and this is no exception! These potatoes get great flavor from the browned butter. I'll make these again for sure. Thanx for sharing the recipe.