Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
I enjoyed this comforting dish with a baked chicken breast and a salad but it would also be good with some nice bread.
- 1 cup broccoli floret
- 1 sweet pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 slice thick bread
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Put broccoli and pepper into a saucepan, add 3/4 cup water and most of butter.
- Simmer for 5 minutes or until broccoli is just tender.
- Use remaining butter to grease a casserole dish.
- Whisk the eggs and milk in the casserole dish and mix in 3/4 of the cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in broccoli and peppers with 1 spoonful of its cooking juice.
- Blitz the bread to make crumbs and then mix crumbs with remaining cheese.
- Sprinkle over the top.
- Bake for around 20 minutes or until the dish has set and the top is golden.
Friedel, this is such a beautiful dish when made with red bell pepper! It is so pretty that it could easily be used to brighten up a holiday dinner table! We enjoyed this very much tonight, as I usually simply steam our broccoli. What a delightful change of pace! I used regular bread crumbs to mix with the cheese for the topping. Thank you so much, Friedel for posting this wonderful recipe!
We had this as a side dish the other night and my family really enjoyed it. The only changes I made were to add some fresh basil, oregano and thyme in the recipe. I also mixed Panko bread crumbs in with the cheese for the topping as I thought it would just be easier. I did use sweet red peppers just for the "color" factor and because that is what I had on hand. Thank you so much for posting as this is a welcome change to ordinary steamed broccoli.
This was really good! I was looking for something to make for dinner and all I had was vegetables. This hit the spot. I toasted up some garlic bread to serve with it. I must have used a little too much of the cooking water because I ended up having to bake it for 10 minutes longer than it called for. Although be careful not to bake this too long or your milk will start to break down and turn to liquid. It was still very good though.