Prep 15 mins
Cook 9 mins
Adding crunchy cashews and fresh almonds to broccoli and beans is a really great way of serving these two simple green vegetables. It makes you want to eat them for ever.
- 1 large head of broccoli, cut into small florets, with stems trimmed on the diagonal
- 8 ounces French beans, topped but not tailed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- about 10 unsalted cashews, halved lengthways
- about 10 fresh almonds, peeled and halved length ways
- sea salt
- Fill a large bowl half full with cold water and drop in a few handfuls of ice cubes,set aside.
- Plunge the broccoli florets into a large pan of salted boiling water, bring the water back to the boil, and simmer for 1 minute.
- Drain and refresh in the iced water.
- Repeat with the beans, then drain both vegetables and dry them on a cloth.
- Put the oil in a wok or large, non-stick frying pan and set over a high heat. When you can just see a haze rising add the cashews and toss until browned.
- Add the broccoli and saute for 2 minutes before tossing in the beans. Saute for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and toss in the almonds.
- Sprinkle with sea salt, drizzle with olive oil, and serve.
Real tasty, and flavorful. We particularly enjoyed the nut combo. Made for a great side with some hamburgers. The seasonings too were a perfect combo. And the kids did eat their veggies. Made for PRMR Tag
Annacia, I neglected to print this recipe and went by memory when I realised i had everything I needed (I had just looked at the recipe earlier in the day, so beautifully simple that it was not hard to 'wing it'.) I had forgotten the cashews, unfortunately, so had to go with just the sliced almonds, but nonetheless this was a delicious vegetable dish and a great way to use the beans and broccoli in the fridge! Quick, easy, delicious and attractive, we really enjoyed this impromptu side dish, thank you, Annacia.
Tasty and different way to prepare broccoli and green beans, and i love the recipe name too! I loved the addition of cashews and my family gobbled up all their veggies! Thanks for a great recipe that I will make again! Made for Best of 2011 Cookbook game.