Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I got the original recipe from Allrecipes.com, but tweeked it to my family's taste and ... Viola! An awesome Broccoli and Cauliflower salad! The recipe calls for bacon, but I use Bacon Bits. I don't give an amount for Bacon Bits, it depends on how much YOU want. Also, if you use Bacon Bits, add them right before serving.
- 8 slices bacon or 8 slices bacon bits, to taste
- 1 head fresh broccoli, chopped
- 1 head fresh cauliflower, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 large red onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda granular, sugar substitute or 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, and crumble.
- In a large bowl, combine broccoli, cheese, bacon and onion.
- Prepare the dressing in a small bowl by whisking together the red wine vinegar, sugar, pepper, salt, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Combine dressing with salad. Cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Very nice combination of colors and flavors. I made this according to the recipe, but used cider vinegar instead of red wine vinegar. I probably used less salt than listed (I think the amount of salt depends on the saltiness of the bacon used). This will be ideal for summer picnics. Thanx!
I halved this recipe. It was a little too sweet for me so next time I will add less Splenda. Very quick and easy to make. Made for PAC Spring 2010.