Recipe by bcfdwife
I got the original recipe from Allrecipes.com, but tweeked it to my family's taste and ... Viola! An awesome Broccoli and Cauliflower salad! The recipe calls for bacon, but I use Bacon Bits. I don't give an amount for Bacon Bits, it depends on how much YOU want. Also, if you use Bacon Bits, add them right before serving.
Top Review by *Parsley*
Very nice combination of colors and flavors. I made this according to the recipe, but used cider vinegar instead of red wine vinegar. I probably used less salt than listed (I think the amount of salt depends on the saltiness of the bacon used). This will be ideal for summer picnics. Thanx!
- 8 slices bacon or 8 slices bacon bits, to taste
- 1 head fresh broccoli, chopped
- 1 head fresh cauliflower, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 large red onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda granular, sugar substitute or 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, and crumble.
- In a large bowl, combine broccoli, cheese, bacon and onion.
- Prepare the dressing in a small bowl by whisking together the red wine vinegar, sugar, pepper, salt, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Combine dressing with salad. Cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve.