Recipe by Crafty Lady 13
This simple dish is both delicious and easy to make. You can also top this with your favorite homemade or store-bought salsa. I found this recipe in an AARP email. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but it sounds delicious.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 small finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 14 teaspoons ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (6 inch) whole wheat pita bread, cut in half and lightly toasted
- 1⁄4 cup grated sharp low-fat cheddar cheese
- 4 slices pancetta or 1 slice bacon, cooked and cut into small pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium nonstick frying pan, heat the olive oil.
- Add the onion and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the red pepper and continue to cook for another 3 minutes or until the pepper begins to soften.
- Add eggs and gently scramble until just cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Preheat the broiler or toaster oven.
- Divide the egg mixture between the pita halves.
- Top each pita with half the cheese and half the pancetta or bacon.
- Toast in toaster oven or under a broiler until the cheese just begins to melt.
- Serve immediately.