Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 mins
This simple dish is both delicious and easy to make. You can also top this with your favorite homemade or store-bought salsa. I found this recipe in an AARP email. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but it sounds delicious.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 small finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 14 teaspoons ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (6 inch) whole wheat pita bread, cut in half and lightly toasted
- 1⁄4 cup grated sharp low-fat cheddar cheese
- 4 slices pancetta or 1 slice bacon, cooked and cut into small pieces
- In a medium nonstick frying pan, heat the olive oil.
- Add the onion and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the red pepper and continue to cook for another 3 minutes or until the pepper begins to soften.
- Add eggs and gently scramble until just cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Preheat the broiler or toaster oven.
- Divide the egg mixture between the pita halves.
- Top each pita with half the cheese and half the pancetta or bacon.
- Toast in toaster oven or under a broiler until the cheese just begins to melt.
- Serve immediately.
This is easy to make and very flavorful! The pita makes a perfect crust. I left out the onion and used a little more red bell pepper. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
I scaled this back for 1 and made this for the DM as a light dinner as she was not feeling the best though used 2 small eggs and she ate up all the eggs but not the pita bread but then realized I would have been better to have served it to her quartered and then she would have eaten it like a pizza and then I am sure she would have eaten it all up but she was in a picky mood but the taste of the egg I had it tasted very nice. Thank you Crafy Lady 13 made for Australian New Zealand Recipe Swap #61 February 2012.
What a great dinner. Yes, I said dinner. Hubby is on second shift right now, so the kids and I had breakfast pizza. I made the kids with sausage for the meat because they love sausage. I made mine on a weight watchers pita and theirs on a personal pizza crust. Served with a side of Sauteed Bananas . Thanks. Made for Bevytag 2008.