Recipe by VeggieVal
These scrumptious muffins are easy and fun-to-make and require only a skillet. The recipe is from the BreadBeckers, Inc. family company in Woodstock, GA that provides classes and wonderful products to home bakers. I added only the flax meal component for added health benefits.
- 1 cup hot water
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups freshly milled flour
- 1 tablespoon flax seed meal (optional)
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal, for sprinkling and dusting (approx)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, for griddle
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine water, milk, honey and salt.
- Thoroughly beat 2 Cups of the flour, the flax meal and the yeast into the milk mixture to form a loose batter.
- Cover and let the "sponge" rise in a warm place for about 1 hour.
- Beat in the softened butter.
- Knead in the remaining flour forming a smooth, soft dough for about 4-5 minutes.
- Turn the dough out onto a surface sprinkled with cornmeal and roll to a 1/2" thickness.
- Cut into 3-4 inch rounds. Let these rest on parchment paper or a slightly greased cookie sheet until doubled (usually just a few minutes).
- Carefully lift the rounds with a pancake turner oto a hot, well-buttered (I find grapeseed oil works best) skillet or griddle at about 350 degrees.
- Cook until lightly brown, turning once.
- Cool slightly and slice in half. Toast the halves, if desired.