Recipe by grapefruit
I haven't actually tried making this -- just came across this is a cookbook called 'bananas'(no author listed). It sounds delicious and can't wait to try it. cooking time is freezing time.
- 2 cups fresh whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups ready-made cold custard
- 5 ounces fromage frais
- 2⁄3 cup Greek yogurt
- 4 bananas
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 1⁄2 cup raisins, chopped
- pared lemon rind, to decorate
- fresh strawberries, halved, to serve (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Mix the bread crumbs and brown sugar in a bowl.
- Spread the mixture out on a non-stick cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 mins until the crumbs are crisp, stirring occasionally.
- Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, mix the custard, fromage frais, and yogurt in a bowl. Mash the bananas with the lemon juice and add to the custard mixture, mixing well.
- Fold in the icing sugar.
- Pour the mixture into a shallow, freezer-proof container and freeze for about 3 hours or until mushy in consistency.
- Spoon into a chilled bowl and quickly mash with a fork to break down the ice crystals.
- Add the breadcrumbs and raisins and mix well.
- Return the mixture to the container, cover, freeze until firm.
- Serve with strawberries, if using, decorated with lemon rind.