These Bread and Butter Pickles are very simple to make and require little time. I do not can the pickles because I only make about 3 pints at a time.
- Rinse cucumbers under cold water and trim the ends. Rinse red bell pepper under cold water, slice in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Peel Maui onions and set aside.
- Use a Mandoline and slice cucumbers about 1/4 thick. Place cucumbers into a bowl. Slice Maui onion and red bellpepper about 1/4 inch thick and add to cucumbers.
- Add Kosher salt and water to the cucumbers. Stir pickles, cover with plastic and let stand for 3 hours. Rinse the cucumbers, onions and bellpeppers under cold water.
- In a large saucepan add vinegar, brown sugar, mustard seeds, tumeric, saffron, whole cloves, whole allspice berries, bay leaves and cucumbers. Bring cucumbers to a full boil and reduce to slow simmer for 15 minutes uncovered. Set pickles aside and let stand until they reach room temperature.
- Place pickles into a containers and refrigate for several hours.
As much as I enjoy this kind of pickles I just had to try your recipe, & am so glad I did! Wonderful tasting, & it's always nice to be able to make something like this instead of going to the store to buy it! Already have a friend standing in the wings, hoping I'll gift her a jar of these pickles, & I just might, too! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in New Kids on the Block tag]