Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Grandma's candied yams for the holidays.
Make and share this Brandy Yams recipe from Food.com.
- 4 medium yams
- 2⁄3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup brandy
- 2 cups small marshmallows
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Boil the four medium yams with skins until tender. Then drain and peel the yams. Either slice or cut them into cubes and place in a buttered casserole dish.
- Boil the brown sugar, water, butter and raisins. Once the sugar is fully melted and the mixture has a good boil add the brandy and remove from heat. Pour mixture over the yams.
- Then add a layer of the small marshmallows on top of the yams (may add sliced almonds to your liking).
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes uncovered. Be sure to baste occasionally.
Loved these! My family usually passes up the yams for other side dishes at Thanksgiving, but this time the yams were the first to go. Wonderful flavor with the combination of the raisins, brandy and almonds!
Sweet potato recipes are a hit or miss in my house. I thought I would give this one a shot and see if anyone other than me would eat them. I am quite pleased to say that everyone tried them and most everyone had seconds! That says a lot coming from my picky eaters! This had a wonderful flavor and the almonds and raisins added a nice touch! Thanks for sharing!