Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From Judy V.
- 2 tablespoons flour
- salt & pepper
- 4 lamb shanks
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 400 g mixed vegetables, raw
- 440 ml Guinness stout
- 405 g diced tomatoes with basil and oregano
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C Season flour with salt and pepper, then coat shanks. Heat oil in a large casserole dish. Brown shanks on all sides and remove from dish.
- Empty mixed veggies into pot and heat for 5 minutes.
- Add beer and stir to loosen sediment on the bottom of dish. Stir in tomatoes, stock and bring to the boil. Add barley, stir well. Return shanks to the dish.
- Transfer casserole to the oven. Cook for about 2 hours, add more water if needed. Spoon onto deep plates to serve and sprinkle with parsley.
Just what I was after. I modified a wee bit, using just 2 fresh beefsteak tomatoes, large swede slices underneath the shanks & just carrot, onion & garlick for the mixed vege. Thanks for the inspiration!!
Wow! This was fantastic. This was my first time making lamb and the beer gave it such a great flavor. Thank you for this recipe!
Outstanding with the Guiness! Just when I was searching for something to do with my Lamb Shanks, like the touch of barley too. Thank you!