Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a classic French dish.
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken, diced
- 3 cups button mushrooms
- 2⁄3 cup rindless smoked streaky bacon, small dice
- 16 shallots
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2⁄3 cup white burgundy
- 2⁄3 cup chicken stock
- 1 bouquet garni (1 bayleaf, sprig thyme, stick of celery, parsley and sage, tied with string)
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in an ovenproof casserole and brown the chicken all over.
- Remove from the casserole with a slotted spoon.
- Add the mushrooms, bacon, shallots and garlic.
- Cook for 4 minutes.
- Return chicken to the casserole, sprinkle with flour.
- Cook for 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add the wine and chicken stock, stir until boiling.
- Add the bouquet garni and season well with salt and pepper.
- Cover and bake in a 200F preheated oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove the bouquet garni.
- Serve with crostini.