Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
These are really great Bourbon Sweet Potatoes from Emeril. Although the recipe calls for a food processor, I just mash it up with a fork and it's great!
- 1 lb sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup light cream or 1⁄4 cup heavy cream, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup Bourbon
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh chives, for garnish
- Prick sweet potatoes several times with a fork and roast at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until tender.
- As soon as you are able, using a potholder or kitchen towel, peel potatoes and add to work bowl of a food processor.
- Process until smooth. Add butter, sugar, cream and bourbon.
- Process to incorporate everything. Season to taste.
- If you wish, shape sweet potatoes into quenelles before serving.
- Garnish with chives, sprinkling them all over plate.
I'm not really a bourbon drinker (I can't remember the last time I tried it, or even whether I liked it), and I did not realize how bitter the taste would be. Although this recipe has a lot of potential tastewise, the harsh taste of the bourbon was a bit much for both me and my BF. Maybe it was the type of bourbon I bought (Wild Turkey). I did leave out the brown sugar as it was optional, but I'm not sure its inclusion would have made much of a difference. I did substitute half-and-half for the cream, and lowered the butter a bit. I think if I had halved the bourbon this would have been quite tasty, and bourbon fans will probably love this!