1/2 Photos of Boleo/ Bolillos (Authentic Mexican/French Bread)
2 hrs 55 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Galley Wench's Note:
No mater how you spell it, Boleo/Bolillos' are sold through out Mexico, in bakeries and supermarkets. They are basically a small french roll/baguette that was believed to have been introduced into the country by The Boleo Mining Company, a French company which operated in Santa Rosalia, Mexico in the 1800's. The mine is now closed, but the original bakery still fluorishes. To learn more about the history of the Boleo/Bolillos go to this website: http://travel.msn.com/Guides/article.aspx?cp-documentid=345460 If you prefer the sweeter bolillos (made on the mainland), then increase the sugar or substitute honey.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl sprinkle yeast and sugar over warm water and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- 2With a wooden spoon stir in 2 cups flour until combined.
- 3Stir in salt and 2 cups of the remaining flour until mixture forms a stiff dough.
- 4On a lightly floured surface knead dough with lightly floured hands for 8 minutes, or until smooth and elastic (or use KA mixer).adding more flour if needed to keep dough from sticking.
- 5Transfer to a lightly oiled deep bowl, turning to coast with oil.
- 6Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.
- 7Punch down dough and form into 8-10 hoagie shaped rolls (or the dough can be shaped into 2 slender loaves about 10 inches long; or one large loaf.).
- 8Place rolls on an lipless baking sheet or pizza paddle lightly dusted with corn meal (or parchment paper), cover with lightly floured towel and let rise, until doubled in size, about 30 minutes (longer needed if making large loaves).
- 9Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- 10In preheating oven, place heavy-duty lipless cookie sheet or bread baking stone.
- 11Make a slash down the center of each roll (or three diagonal slashes on the loaves) with a sharp knife.
- 12Slide bread from pizza paddle onto hot stone, Lightly spraying each roll/loaf with cold water.
- 13Carefully toss 1/2 cup water on oven floor (if using gas oven, place a heavy-duty oven-safe skillet or roasting pan on the the oven floor) and close door.
- 14Spritz dough 2 times during the first 3 minutes of baking.
- 15Bake until golden brown, about 12-30 minutes (depending on size of rolls/loaves).
- 16Allow bread to cool on wire rack.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Boleo/ Bolillos (Authentic Mexican/French Bread)
Serving Size: 1 (116 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 205.1
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 468.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 5.7 g