Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Easy to make and so fabulous! Frost with your favorite buttercream icing or just dust with powdered sugar. Either way, it is the most tasty cake you will ever eat.
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups cold water
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a medium saucepan and boil for 3 minutes.
- Cool completely, then stir in flour and baking soda.
- Pour into greased and floured 9 X 13" cake pan.
- Bake at 350° for 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle of cake comes out clean.
- Cool and frost or dust with powdered sugar just before serving.
I love boiled cakes and this one didn't disappoint - and it is eggless! So easy to make with ingredients usually at hand and nice and moist because it is boiled. The spice blend lends a lovely flavour. I made double the quantity and it froze well too. Will be making this again. A good basic cake. Thanks Marie.
Very good--moist and spicy and dense. I made buttercream frosting and spread on after they cooled and everyone loved them. I do think I will try baking them in a 10 1/2 x 15 1/2 x 1 pan in order to make them thinner in size. Thanks for the nice recipe.