Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This side dish is essentially boiled potatoes with a sauce consisting of a sofrito (mixture of tomatoes and herbs) with cheese poured over top. If you don't like some of the flavors (like cilantro) you can substitute what you do like (like parsley). A simple, versatile side dish that goes well with any meat dish. The recipe calls for white cheese which can be white cheddar or use Swiss or Monterey Jack, whatever you like.
- 1 lb red potatoes
- 1 bunch green onion (scallions)
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup shredded white cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Peel potatoes leaving some skin on for color. Cut any large potatoes in half. Boil about 20 minutes until tender.
- Finely chop onions, cilantro and tomato. Stir fry in a little oil until they are mixed well and softened.
- Add milk, cheese and salt to taste. Simmer on low until it thickens.
- Serve potatoes with the sauce poured over top.