Sydney Mike's Note:
This recipe came originally from the cookbook Ten: All the Foods We Love...and Ten Recipes from Each, & I found it published in the Food Section of the 27 May 2009 issue of the Los Angeles Times. Preparation time includes neither the 2 hours needed for the berries to set nor the 2 hours for the blueberry fool to chill!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE SALAD
- 1 pint fresh blueberries, lightly rinsed, patted dry
- 1 pint fresh blackberries, lightly rinsed, patted dry
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, chopped
FOR THE FOOL
- 1FOR THE SALAD: In a large, nonreactive bowl, combine blueberries, blackberries, lemon juice & sugar, then set aside for 2 hours at room temperature for juices to develop.
- 2Shortly before serving, toss berry mixture with chopped mint.
- 3FOR THE FOOL: While salad is developing the juices, in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, cook 1 cup of blueberries & 1/4 cup sugar for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the sugar has dissolved & berries have softened.
- 4Remove from heat & transfer berries to a medium bowl to cool completely. (To speed the process, chill berries in the frig for about 20 minutes or about 5 minutes in the freezer.).
- 5Add remaining cup of blueberries to the cooled blueberries & set aside.
- 6While the berries are cooling, in a large mixing bowl & with a hand mixer, whip together the cream, the remaining 3 tablespoons of sugar & the vanilla to form soft peaks.
- 7Add creme fraiche & continue beating until it is combined & soft peaks are again formed.
- 8With a rubber spatula, GENTLY fold the blueberries into the whipped mixture & creating a marblized effect ~ DO NOT OVERMIX!
- 9Refrigerate, loosely covered for not more than 2 hours before serving.
- 10When ready to serve, spoon 1/2 cup of fruit salad into each of 6 dessert bowls & top with a generous portion of the fool.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Blueberry Fool on a Berry Fruit Salad (England)
Serving Size: 1 (250 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 425.5
- Calories from Fat 269
- Total Fat 29.9 g
- Saturated Fat 18.3 g
- Cholesterol 108.6 mg
- Sodium 31.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 31.0 g
- Protein 3.0 g