Prep 1 hr 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found this recipe from the book "Crazy about Cookies" by Krystina Castella. I have yet to try this recipe however; it's at the top of my to bake list. I found it hard to find blueberry jam but, was able to locate it at Fred Meyer/Kroger it was one of their Private Reserve jams. I've put in parenthesis which ingredient it used for each step, my apologies for any confusion, the new recipe box feature is bothersome and will not let me play around with the formatting as the original version.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened (dough)
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar (dough)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (dough)
- 2 large egg yolks (dough)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (dough)
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour (dough)
- 1 cup blueberry jam (filling)
- 1 cup blueberries (filling)
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten (filling)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour (crumble topping)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar (crumble topping)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons butter (crumble topping)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (crumble topping)
- 2 tablespoons ground pecans (crumble topping)
- Make the crust dough: Cream the butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Mix in the egg yolks and vanilla.
- Gradually add the flour. Form the dough into two flattened disks, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Butter 2 cookie sheets.
- Once the dough is chilled, roll one disk on a floured work surface to 1/4 inch thick. Cut the dough into 3-inch circles with a ravioli cutter or cookie cutter. Place half of the circles on the cookie sheets 1 1/2 inches apart. Repeat with second disk.
- Fill the cookies: (1 cup blueberry jam, 1 cup blueberries, 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten) Put 1 teaspoon blueberry jam and a few blueberries in the center of each circle on the cookie sheets. Top with the remaining circles. Press the top and bottom edges of the cookies together with your fingers or the tines of a fork. brush the tops with the egg whites.
- Make the crumble topping: Mix the flour, brown sugar, butter, salt, and pecans until blended. Press onto the tops of the cookies. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until the edges are golden. Let cool for 5 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.