Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Super delicious, flakey, and light. Absolutely perfect and fresh flavor. They are easy to freeze --just flash freeze them on a baking sheet for 20 minutes, then put them all together in the freezer. Then reheat so you can eat freshly baked scones whenever you like!
- 4 &frac 34 cup plain flour
- &frac 12 cup caster (superfine)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- &frac 34 tsp baking soda
- 1 &frac 14 tsp salt
- 17 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold (1 cup and 1 tbsp)
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 lemon, zest of, grated
- 7 ounces frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 200 C (400 F) and line two trays with baking paper.
- Put the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt to the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment (you can also make these by hand).
- Cut the butter into small cubes and add it to the mixer. Turn it onto a low speed and mix until the mixture is sandy but you still have pea-sized flecks of butter through it.
- Add the buttermilk and lemon zest, and mix on a low speed until the dough begins to come together.
- At this point, turn the dough out onto a floured surface and add the blueberries.
- Mix the dough together with your hands, being careful not to knead it or crush the blueberries, until it comes together. You may need to add a little more buttermilk.
- Pat the dough into a rectangle about 1.5 inches thick.
- Using a sharp chef's knife, cut the dough lengthways down the middle, then cut each long rectangle into 6 triangles.
- Place on the prepared baking trays, brush with melted butter and sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Bake for 20 - 30 minutes, until golden.
- Eat while warm!