Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup finely crumbled blue cheese (any type)
- 1 (1 lb) package frozen puff pastry, thawed,unfolded
- paprika, for sprinkling over pastry
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Line several baking sheets with parchment paper or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, beat together the egg and water to make an egg wash; set aside.
- In another bowl, toss together the parmesan and blue cheeses; set aside.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out each puff pastry sheet into a 14-by-10-inch rectangle.
- Brush both of the pastry sheets to the edges with the egg wash and sprinkle with paprika.
- Sprinkle the cheese mixture over one of the pastry sheets and top with the other pastry sheet, egg wash side down.
- Roll out the pastry with a rolling pin to flatten slightly.
- Cut the pastry in half horizontally with a sharp knife and then lengthwise into 1/2-inch-wide strips.
- Carefully pick up a stick and, with both hands, twist to form a spiral (left hand counter-clockwise, right hand clockwise).
- Arrange cheese straws about 1 1/2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets, pressing ends onto the sheets.
- Bake until golden and puffed, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool before removing to a serving dish.
These were just simply delicious! Must be served hot from the oven. When they cool they're not as yummy! It makes a lot so I froze 1/2 the batch. We'll see how they thaw and taste tonight!