Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Bacon, taters, blue cheese, spinach... this dish is only a European vacation short of a perfect experience!
- 8 ounces fresh Baby Spinach
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 (22 ounce) packagefrozen mashed potatoes (or freshly made if you prefer, I do!)
- 2 1⁄3 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 8 ounces crumbled blue cheese, divided
- REMOVE large stems from spinach.
- SAUTÉ bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp; remove and drain bacon, reserving drippings in skillet. Add shallots to skillet, and sauté until tender; remove from skillet. Add spinach, and sauté 4 to 5 minutes or until wilted. Set aside.
- COMBINE mashed potatoes, milk, and butter in a 2-quart microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 15 minutes, stirring once. Let stand 2 minutes. Stir in bacon, shallots, and half of crumbled blue cheese.
- ARRANGE spinach around edges of a serving plate. Spoon potatoes in center, and sprinkle with remaining blue cheese. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Very tasty. Nice addition/variation with the cooked bacon pieces. I substituted yogurt for the milk (& cut it back). I didn't have blue cheese so I exchanged for feta. Used fresh mashed potatoes & I mixed all the ingredients together at the end. Rather than the microwave I used the oven and it worked great. Thanks for sharing.
Gosh these are great! I used "real" mashed potatoes and substituted canned spinach (drained)for fresh. Also got by just using 4 oz. of bleu cheese since presentation was not important on this date.