Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are a lot of fun. In the center of a blonde brownie is a little chocolate surprise under the caramel! I found this in a Pillsbury Bake-Off recipe book.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 20 caramels, unwrapped
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup finely chopped nuts
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Line 16 muffin cups with foil or paper baking cups.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over low heat.
- Remove from heat and stir in brown sugar.
- Add vanilla and egg; mix well.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt; blend well.
- Stir in 1/2 cup chopped nuts.
- Divide batter evenly into lined muffin cups.
- Bake for 16 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in small saucepan over low heat, melt caramels with water; stir constantly until smooth (or microwave in glass bowl with 1 tablespoon water on High for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally).
- Immediately after brownie cups are removed from oven, place chocolate chips evenly into middle of each brownie.
- Spoon 1 scant tablespoon of caramel over chocolate chips in each cup.
- If necessary, stir additional water into melted caramels to maintain spoonable consistency.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup finly chopped nuts evenly over brownies.
- Cool completely.
- Store in tightly covered container.