Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
A few years ago, a friend of Ina Garten's (The Barefoot Contessa) in Paris threw a party, but there was a problem. While he had taken care of the drinks, the food slipped his mind. Ina stepped in with these crowd-pleasing blini topped with smoked salmon and creme fraiche. It was a brilliant save, brightened even further with some bubbly. Recipe created by Ina Garten and courtesy of the April 2002 issue of O, The Oprah Magazine.
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup buckwheat flour
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 extra-large egg
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 lb smoked salmon, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup creme fraiche
- fresh dill, for garnish
- salmon black caviar, for garnish (roe)
- In a small saucepan, clarify butter by simmering over low heat. Set aside, allowing milk solids to sink to bottom. Pour off clear yellow liquid & reserve; discard white sediment.
- Whisk together flours, baking powder, salt, egg, milk and 1 Tablespoon clarified butter until smooth.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons clarified butter in a small skillet and drop batter in 1 Tablespoon at a time.
- Cook on medium-low heat until bubbles form on top side of blini, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook until golden brown.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- Place 1 piece of smoked salmon on top of each of the blini.
- Add a dollop of creme fariche, a dill sprig and a sprinkling of salmon caviar, if desired.
- Serve immediately.