Recipe by MarieRynr
Sweet succulent dates encased in flaky cheese pastry. From the book "Beyond Parsley" by the Junior League of Kansas City. Servings is approximate.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- cayenne pepper
- 1 lb pitted dates, halved lengthwise
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend butter and cheese together.
- Mix with flour, salt and cayenne pepper to form dough.
- Roll out thinly and cut into small rounds with biscuit cutter.
- Place date half on one side of dough round; fold remaining dough over.
- Pinch edges together like a turnover.
- Bake on non-stick cookie sheet at 250*F to 300*F for 30 minutes.
- Roll in sugar while hot.
- Serve warm.