Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
I found this in a Chicago Tribune article on ways of adding fiber to your diet. I adjusted it a bit to suit my family and we were really pleased with the results. We like hummus with Trader Joe's Italian Crackers but this is great with whatever you like to dip into your hummus!
- 1 large garlic clove
- 425.24 g can black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 0.25 ml hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco
- 2.46 ml salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 29.58 ml tahini
- Add garlic to a food processor; process to chop. Add the black-eyed peas, lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper to taste; process until smooth. Add tahini with the processor running; process until all ingredients come together.
- Adjust seasonings. If too thick, add additional lemon juice or oil.
Yummy! I just made a double batch for a Mardi Gras party. I added a bit more than a dash of hot sauce and also added some Zatarain's Creole Seasoning. I've been making hummus for a while, but I think this recipe will become one of my staples!
I highly suggest this hummus. It's vegan and works perfectly as a dip or a spread. I ate half with my dinner tonight. Will eat the other half for lunch tomorrow. I didn't change anything and I used my blender. Thank you for a super hit!!!