Recipe by Chef C
I received this recipe from my sister last winter. She was trying to convince me that chili didn't need meat to be satisfying. She was right. I am sure you will enjoy it as much as I have
Top Review by mary_beth_phillips
GREAT RECIPE!!! Will def make again. I did not add Bulgar wheat and I did add one additional can of diced tomatoes as well as 1 cup of elbow macaroni! Made it for three men (who all are meatlovers) and they really liked it! :) thank you!!
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 1 beef (optional) or 1 vegetable bouillon cube (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black beans, undrained
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1⁄2 cup Bulgar wheat
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all of the ingredients in a slow cooker and stir well.
- Turn on low and cook for 6 hours.
- Serve over a baked potato or whole-grain brown rice.
- **This recipes can be made on the stove if you don't have a slow cooker.
- Cook over low heat and stir periodically to prevent sticking.
- **You can use dried black beans, soaked overnight and then boiled and simmered for about 2 hours.
- If using the bouillon cube for vegetarians it must be the vegetable bouillon cube.