Prep 2 hrs
Cook 45 mins
Needed a vegetarian dish for dinner when a cousin came to town, and wanted to do a lasagna. Couldn't find exactly the right one, so adapted and came up with this from a hodge-podge of other recipes found on the web. Even the meat-eaters loved it.
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- 2 vidalia onions, finely chopped
- 4 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 24.64 ml crushed garlic
- 793.78 g canorganic crushed tomatoes with basil
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 425.24 g canorganic black beans, rinsed & drained
- 425.24 g can low-fat refried black beans
Bechamel with spinach
- 73.94 ml olive oil
- 59.14 ml flour
- 709.77 ml skim milk, heated
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml white pepper
- 283.49 g frozen chopped spinach, cooked, drained, with as much of the moisture squeezed out as you can
- 473.18 ml grated cheese, 6-cheese Italian blend
- 9 whole wheat lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- Heat olive oil in large sauce pan, saute onions, celery, carrots & garlic until onions are transparent. Add tomatoes & oregano. Simmer for 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Stir in both cans of beans and heat through.
- Make bechamel -- heat olive oil, add flour & stir until bubbly. whisk in milk, cook & stir over medium heat until boiling. add salt and set aside to cool, stirring occasionally. Once it has cooled down a bit, stir in the spinach.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain, rinse with cold water to cool down and lay out on towel until ready to assemble lasagna.
- Assembly: Spray 9 X 13 pan with non-stick spray, spread 1/4 of the sauce on bottom of pan, then layer with lasagna noodles, 1/3 of the spinach-bechamel mixture, 1/3 of the remaining sauce, and 1/3 of the cheese. repeat twice.
- Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.
- Let sit about 15 minutes before cutting and serving.