Recipe by Anu
I "cooked" this up when I wanted a fuss-free dinner and all I had at hand were tomatoes, really soft bread, tofu, and hummus! Don't let the combination of ingredients put you off; this tastes yum! You can also have this for a healthy snack, or even for breakfast.
Top Review by Mirj
Anu, you posted this just in time. I have a huge amount of people coming over later today for a BBQ and wanted a simple vegan breakfast this morning. The sandwich may be simple, but it's taste is outstanding! I used some whole wheat multi-grain bread. I also cut the tofu to fit the bread instead of crumbling it. I seared it on both sides after sprinkling it with some hot pepper seasoned olive oil. With a fresh and tasty tomato no ketchup was necessary. I will definitely make this sandwich often, for breakfast, lunch and dinner! Thanks so much!
- 1 slice fresh whole wheat bread
- 1 tablespoon hummus
- 1⁄4 cup tofu, crumbled
- 1⁄2 plum tomato, chopped
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread the hummus evenly over the 2 slices of bread.
- Roast (yes, roast!) the crumbled tofu in a non-stick saucepan over medium-high heat for a about 1-2 minutes.
- Lower the flame, add the chopped tomatoes, and saute with constant stirring until the tomatoes are soft.
- Season with salt and pepper and saute for another minute.
- Remove from flame, and pile the tofu-mixture over one bread slice (hummus side up).
- Season with extra salt and pepper if necessary, cover with the other bread slice and eat immediately, with ketchup, if desired.