1 hr 10 mins
Bon Appetit Magazine May 2007 edition. 30 minutes coolng time. It is "awesomly" good.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup Irish whiskey
- 2 tablespoons Irish whiskey
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate (70% cocoa, such as Scharffen Berger or Lindt)
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder, dissolved in
- 6 tablespoons hot water
- 1/3 cup blanched almond, lightly toasted
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature, divided
- 7 tablespoons vanilla sugar, divided
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 pinch fine sea salt
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F
- 2Butter and flour 8-inch-diameter springform pan.
- 3Boil 1/2 cup whiskey in small saucepan until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 2 minutes.
- 4Combine bittersweet chocolate, espresso powder mixture, and 1/4 cup boiled whiskey in small metal bowl.
- 5Place bowl over saucepan of simmering water; stir until mixture is smooth.
- 6Remove bowl from over water.
- 7Finely grind almonds with 2 tablespoons flour in processor.
- 8Using electric mixer, beat 1/2 cup butter and 6 tablespoons vanilla sugar in medium bowl until fluffy.
- 9Beat in egg yolks 1 at a time, then sea salt.
- 10Fold in chocolate mixture, then ground almond mixture.
- 11Using clean dry beaters, beat egg whites in another bowl until soft peaks form.
- 12Gradually add 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- 13Fold whites into batter alternately with remaining 4 tablespoons flour in 3 additions.
- 14Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- 15Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- 16Cool in pan on rack 30 minutes.
- 17Remove pan sides and cool cake completely.
- 18Combine semisweet chocolate and remaining 2 tablespoons whiskey in small metal bowl.
- 19Place bowl over saucepan of simmering water and stir until smooth.
- 20Remove bowl from over water.
- 21Add remaining 1/4 cup butter to chocolate mixture, 1 small piece at a time, whisking until each piece is melted before adding next.
- 22Place bowl over larger bowl of ice water.
- 23Using electric mixer, beat icing until thickened to spreadable consistency, about 1 minute.
- 24Spread icing over top and sides of cake.
- 25DO AHEAD
- 26Can be made 8 hours ahead.
- 27Cover with cake dome and let stand at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bittersweet Chocolate Irish Whiskey Cake
Serving Size: 1 (87 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 315.5
- Calories from Fat 233
- Total Fat 25.9 g
- Saturated Fat 14.0 g
- Cholesterol 125.0 mg
- Sodium 47.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 5.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: