Recipe by DeSouter
A great hard biscuit with a twinge of hotness! A staple in Italian delis and "pastosas".
Top Review by lovetobake11
This recipe has the exact flavor and texture of the Pepper Biscuits I have been buying from local Italian bakeries for years. The only change I made was to add a tablespoon of lightly toasted fennel seeds (again as they are locally made). This recipe is a keeper and I will be making the biscuits often. They a sooooo good with a cup of coffee.
- 7.08 g package dry yeast
- 118.29 ml warm water (110 degrees)
- 473.18 ml flour
- 2.46 ml salt
- 7.39 ml black pepper (or more)
- 118.29 ml olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast in water.
- Sift flour salt and pepper onto mixing board.
- Make a well in the center and add yeast and oil.
- Blend together and gradually incorporate into flour.
- The dough will be stiff.
- Knead 10 minutes.
- Place in oiled bowl, turn to coat, cover with towel and let rise until doubled in bulk.
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Break off small pieces of dough and roll into ropes about 6 inches long.
- Form a ring and pinch edges together.
- Place on baking sheet and let rise 20 minutes.
- Brush with oil and bake 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.