Recipe by Maureenie
From cookiesfromitaly.com. Store in airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week, or freeze up to 1 month.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2⁄3 cup hazelnuts, toasted, husked, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Blend flour, brown sugar, cornstarch, 1 tablespoon espresso powder and salt in processor.
- Add butter and vanilla.
- Using pulse, process until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add nuts; blend until finely chopped.
- Transfer dough to floured work surface. Knead just until dough comes together. Divide dough in half.
- Press each half into 9-inch-diameter tart pan with removable bottom. Bake until deep golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- Transfer shortbread to rack; cool 2 minutes. Remove pan sides.
- Cut each shortbread round into 24 wedges. Cool completely.
- Mix 2 tablespoons hot water and remaining 1 teaspoon espresso powder in small saucepan. Add chocolate.
- Stir over medium-low heat until chocolate is smooth. Remove from heat. Cool slightly.
- Drizzle chocolate mixture over cookies.
- Let stand until chocolate sets.