Prep 5 mins
Cook 55 mins
I think I need to move to AU because the variations of this bread all sound so delicious and easy to make. I found the recipe and variations on the aussiecooking.com site. You can make this as a plain beer bread (top recipe) or use one of the variants to add to the bread's flavors. Found and posted for ZWT8
BASIC BREAD RECIPE
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer (not light beer, 355 ml)
- 1⁄8 cup cheese, grated (your choice of cheese)
- BASIC BREAD:.
- Mix the flours, salt and beer ingredients together. Grease a loaf pan and pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with the grated cheese. Bake at 375F (200C) for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown.
- SUNFLOWER & CHIVE: (Additional ingredients 1/4 cup sunflower seeds and 1 tbs dried chives).
- From the basic recipe mix the flours, salt and beer together with 1/4 cup sunflower seeds and 1 tbs dried chives. Place in a well-greased loaf pan. Sprinkle with grated cheese. Bake at 375F (200C) for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown.
- BACON & CHEESE (Additional ingredients 3 strips (rashers) of cooked crumbled bacon, 1/8 cup shredded cheese and 1 tbs dried chives.).
- From the basic recipe mix the flours, salt and beer together along with 2 strips (rashers) of bacon (crumbled), chives and extra 1/8 c shredded cheese. Pour into a well-greased loaf pan. Sprinkle with the remaining one strip of crumbled bacon and the other 1/8 cup of shredded cheese. Bake at 375F (220C) for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown.
- FRUITY BREAD (Additional ingredients 1/2 c chopped dried cranberries; 1/2 c sultanas (golden raisins), chopped; 1/2 c chopped walnuts; 1 tbs honey; 1/4 c flax seed; 2-4 tbs orange juice. You will NOT need the cheese in this recipe).
- From the basic recipe mix the flours, salt, and beer together along with the cranberries, sultanas (golden raisins), walnuts, honey and flax seed. If the dough is too dry add orange juice 1 tbs at a time until the dough reaches a good consistency. Pour into a well-greased loaf pan. Bake at 375F (220C) for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown.
I just love a simple bread that takes no thought or time! I'm a great baker, but a bread maker - not so much! I made the bacon and cheese version, skipping the chives out of personal preference. The flavor of this was great and I especially liked the little crunch on top, from the bacon and cheese! Even if you think you can't bake, you can mix these ingredients and set a timer. I did use a glass loaf pan, so I reduced the temp by 25 degrees, to 350. It was done in about 55 minutes and was GREAT! Thanks for sharing, HokiesMom!