Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 50 mins
Cook 0 mins
A bit of chopping, but easy to make this cold, healthy one-dish meal -- perfect for hot summer nights. Great picnic or potluck dish, also. The large amounts of parsley and dill really make the dish, but they aren’t overpowering. I brought this dish to a picnic for my family, but our friends kept eating it also, especially the kids – hence its name. This dish doubles easily for a large crowd.
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat couscous
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- 1⁄4 vidalia onion
- 2 ears cooked corn on the cob
- 2 stalks broccoli, peeled and bottom pared
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh curly-leaf parsley
- 1⁄4 bunch dill
- 1⁄4 cup prepared Italian dressing
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Boil the water and olive oil. When boiling, remove from heat, stir in the couscous, cover, and let sit for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork into a large bowl to cool.
- Add the chick peas to the bowl.
- Peeled and chop the eggs, add.
- Chop the onion, and add.
- Cut the corn off the cob, add to bowl.
- Chop the broccoli into pieces, ½ inch-ish square, blanch if desired, and add.
- Chop the leaves and top-most stems of the parsley, add.
- Pinch the lower dill stems between your fingers and pull to remove the leaves. Chop the leaves up, and add.
- Mix everything together, sprinkling with the dressing, lemon juice, vinegar, salt and pepper. Now, have a few bites :-) to see if there is enough of each of those, and sprinkle more of whatever you like. I usually do add more of each.
- Chill, if you have time, but this is also great eaten warmish, as soon as it is prepared.
- I imagine this dish to be pretty flexible for whatever veggies you have in the fridge, and whatever quantities you want to put inches Also, except for the couscous, feel free not to measure most things, if you are so inclined.
- I wanted to leave the recipe vegetarian, but I sometimes add chicken soup base (or bullion cubes) to the couscous water.
- Add a little more time if you need to cook the eggs or corn.
- Delicious served with garden tomatoes.
Great !!!! another one for my company. I love couscous anytime. I did not have corn on the cob so I used one small can of the peaches and cream one. I think you need to have the fresh herbs they give it the fresh, robust flavor. Fantastic recipe !!!