Recipe by Norelllaura1
I've been trying to copy my Dad's version of Clam Casino to no avail (even when I have him on the phone) So I gave it up and made up my own; guess what? They're BETTER!
Top Review by LaurietheLibrarian
This was a great recipe that was very easy to make. I would use a little less oregano next time for my own tastes. We ate them as a lunch and I will be making them again!
- 30 quahogs (chowder clams)
- 3 large elephant garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large vidalia onion, minced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheese, I buy a bag of Italian five cheeses already shredded (parmesan, mozzarella, asagio, provolone)
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the first six ingredients in olive oil until softened but not browned.
- Steam clams in batches and remove as they JUST BEGIN TO OPEN. Allow to cool and reserve clam broth.
- Remove clams from shells and save half of each shell.
- Process clams with a little broth in a food processor until a little chunky.
- Combine clams with first six ingredients and add 1 cup of mixed cheeses, mix well.
- Add breadcrumbs, mixing completely until it holds together like a stuffing; if it seems a little dry add more clam broth.
- Fill clam shells with this mixture and bake at 350 degrees until golden brown.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!