Recipe by Jill1234
This is a fantastic, quick and VERY POPULAR appetizer for anyone who wants something that will be amazingly enjoyed by everyone at the party, yet is so simple. EVERY TIME I MAKE THIS, I AM ASKED FOR THE RECIPE! And, my friends always ask me to bring this when we get together. It's the one recipe that people stand around and eat until it's all gone. And the chips really give the hummus such a "homemade" kick! The chips will last days, too.
- 2 (7 ounce) packagesof your favorite hummus (different flavors)
- 1 (20 ounce) package pita bread (white, wheat, or mixed)
- 1 cup olive oil
- garlic salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut pita bread in wedges (slice like a pizza).
- Separate the triangles from the original piece of bread, and peel each apart so that you have an outside and inside.
- (In other words, if you slice the bread into 8 wedges, you will have 16 triangles after peeling each apart.) Lay triangles, inside face up, on a baking sheet, brush tops with olive oil, and sprinkle with garlic salt.
- Bake at 350 for 5 minutes or until slightly brown and let cool.
- Serve with room temperature hummus and watch it disappear!
- NOTE: When brushing on olive oil, make sure you coat entire triangle, otherwise the bread will dry out when baking.
- However, don't overdo the olive oil, either.
- Best way is to brush several times across the bread lightly.
- SERVING SUGGESTION: Scoop out hummus and lay each"mound" in the center of a an interesting tray.
- Surround by homemade chips, voila!