Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 2 (16 ounce) cans pork and beans, well drained
- 3⁄4 cup Masterpiece Original barbecue sauce
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 small white onion, chopped small
- 1 medium tart green apple, peeled,cored and chopped
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 3 strips bacon, cut in half
- 1⁄3 cup Dr. Pepper cola (not diet, this is the SECRET INGREDIENT)
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- In a 1 1/2 qt. casserole, combine drained pork and beans, barbecue sauce, br. sugar, apples, onions, and raisins.
- After the above have been added put in the Dr. Pepper.
- Stir in with all the other ingredients.
- Arrange bacon strips over the top.
- Bake uncovered, 50-60 minutes until casserole is bubbling.
I find this one of the best baked bean dishes I've ever tasted. And I've tasted many!!! It is better then my Mom's... I followed the recipe to the 'T',but did use more bacon & added some bacon bits. The Dr. Pepper is the key in my mind. Great dish. I've made it 3 times and gave the recipe out to many a person! Thank you for shairing it