Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a great multipurpose recipe. You can use the "fluff" as I call it, on any type of fruit: rasberries, blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, oranges, etc. It's light tasting and even great in the winter with frozen berries mixed with sugar. Preparation time varies depending on if you use frozen fruit or cut fresh fruit. Makes a great presentation with little effort.
- 1 angel food cake, cubed
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 -7 tablespoons powdered sugar, divided (depending on fruit)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 1 pint whipping cream (2 cups)
- 2 quarts berries or 2 quarts fruit, rough chopped
- Cube angel food cake with a serrated knife. It's easier if you handle the knife lightly so you don't crush the cake.
- Cream together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and almond flavoring.
- Add the sour cream to the cream cheese mixture and blend thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl add 4 tablespoons powdered sugar to the whipping cream. Whip until soft peaks form. This step works best if you chill the whisk and metal bowl ahead of time.
- Mix the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Clean and rough chop the fruit as is necessary. Mix it with 3 tablespoons powdered sugar or to taste.
- Layer angel food cake with cream cheese "fluff" and berries or fruit.
Ohh! This is so yummy! I made a gluten-free angel food cake and used strawberries for this recipe. I also added a few chocolate shavings to the top. It tasted like a strawberry shortcake, but way better! :) Thanks for sharing, gingersnap, my family loved it! Made and enjoyed for Fall 2011 Pick A Chef. You've been adopted! http://www.food.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=363796&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0