Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
Local source. I used and recommend this spice mix recipe: Berbere Spice Mix (Ethiopian) Canned/Tinned garbanzo beans can replace dried but it's best to use organic and *rinse well* to remove the excess salt!
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried garbanzo beans, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon berber mixed spice (see recipe link above)
- If using Dried Chickpeas: Put rinsed chickpeas in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Let sit overnight or at least eight hours. (Note: I use a crock pot to cook the beans overnight.).
- Drain, rinse and add water to cover by 2 inches. Add salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a good simmer and allow to cook for about 45 minutes or until tender. They should be cooked through but not mushy.
- Drain well and lay on a baking sheet or a kitchen towel to dry.
- Canned Chickpeas: Rinse well and set aside to dry.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place chickpeas on the baking sheet and drizzle with oil and the berber spice mix. Shake pan to roll chickpeas to distribute the oil and spices. The beans should be all in an even single layer.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, shaking pan every 10 minutes or so to move the chickpeas around. When done, the garbanzo beans should be slightly crunchy on the outside but still soft inside.