Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A "30 minutes or fewer" dish from Vegetarian Times, October 2001. Serves 4.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into 2x1-inch strips
- 2 yellow bell peppers, cut into 2x1-inch strips
- 1 tomatoes, cored, seeded and finely diced or 1⁄2 cup canned diced tomato
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄4 cups cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add bell peppers and cook, stirring often, 2 minutes. Cover and cook until peppers are soft and browned all over but not mushy, about 7 minutes.
- Add tomato, garlic and salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, uncovered, stirring often, about 7 minutes. Stir in basil and parsley. Keep warm over low heat.
- Make polenta: In medium saucepan, bring broth and 1/4 teaspoons salt to a boil. Slowly drizzle in cornmeal, whisking continuously. Reduce heat and cook, whisking continuously, until polenta reaches the consistency of soft mashed potatoes, about 5 minutes. Whisk in butter and cheese.
- Spoon mound of polenta on each serving plate and top with vegetables.