Recipe by Amandochka
I haven't tried this yet, but it sounds great! From the NYTimes Magazine, April 12, 2008
- 4 small yellow beets
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus extra
- extra virgin olive oil, for roasting beets
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Roast beets: Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Wash the beets and trim their root ends.
- Lightly coat in oil and set in a roasting pan.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, add ½ cup water and cover the pan with two layers of foil.
- Roast in the oven until tender when pierced with a fork, about 45 minutes.
- While still warm, remove the skins and grate the beets using the large holes of a grater. (You should have 1 cup.).
- Place the garlic, lemon juice and 1 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the yogurt and 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Fold in the grated beets and dill and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with meats or pita.