- 4 lbs beets
- 3 lbs sugar
- 2 ounces fresh gingerroot, finely grated or sliced
- 3 lemons, juice and grated rind
- 1⁄2 lb almonds or 1⁄2 lb walnuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and peel the beets.
- Put them through a meat grinder or grate them.
- In a pot, barely cover them with water and cook them slowly until they are tender.
- Add the sugar, the ginger, the lemon juice and rind.
- Cook until thick and clear, which will take about an hour.
- Add the chopped nuts.
- Makes about 3 quarts.