Beet Rhubarb Jam
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
2 3/4 8 oz jars
- In a large bowl, combine the rhubarb with 1 cup of sugar.
- Mix well and let sit for about 30 minutes until some juice forms in the bottom of the bowl.
- In the meantime, cook the beets with the remaining sugar and water in a medium pot over medium high until tender, about 45 minutes; stir occasionally.
- Add rhubarb mixture including juices and stir.
- Cook, while stirring, 18 to 20 minutes until rhubarb are very soft.
- Process the beets through a potato ricer or large strainer and return to the pot.
- Taste for sweetness and add sugar, if needed; cook a few minutes to dissolve any added sugar (the jam's flavor will mellow as it cools).
- While jam is still hot, ladle into hot sterilzed canning jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space at the top; remove air pockets by running a long, non-metallic utensil or skewer between the jar and the jam.
- Top with new, clean lids, close tightly and let cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled, test the seal; if the lid springs up when you press your finger into the center - it is not sealed.
- Process any that have not sealed for 15 minutes in a hot water bath, then test the seal again.
- NOTE: To sterilize jars, fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat until barely bubbling. Immerse three 8 ounce jars and leave there while you are cooking the jam. Place lids and rings in a small saucepan covered with hot water.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><span> </span></p> <p>We may live without poetry, music and art;</p> <p> </p> <p>We may live without conscience and live without heart;</p> <p>We may live without friends; we may live without books,</p> <p>But civilized man cannot live without cooks.</p> <p> </p> <p>He may live without books -- what is knowledge but grieving?</p> <p>He may live without hope-- what is hope but deceiving?</p> <p>He may live without love -- what is passion but pining?</p> <p>But where is the man that can live without dining?</p> <p>-- Owen Meredith</p> <p> </p> <p> </p> <p>I'm an all-American original, having lived in Hawaii, New York, Texas, South Carolina, and Miami. I also served 7 years in the US Army. My husband is from Bogota, Colombia and has also lived in the former Soviet Union. But now we are both in NY.</p> <p> </p> <p>Tomasi enjoyes a bath!</p> <p><br /><a href=http://s845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/?action=view&current=tomas.jpg target=_blank><img src=http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/tomas.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /></a> <br /> <br />Some of my recipes:</p> <p> <object width=480 height=360 data=http://w845.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/12cdcf0a.pbw type=application/x-shockwave-flash> <param name=data value=http://w845.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/12cdcf0a.pbw /> <param name=src value=http://w845.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/12cdcf0a.pbw /> <param name=wmode value=transparent /> </object> <a href=http://photobucket.com/slideshows target=_blank><img src=http://pic.photobucket.com/slideshows/btn.gif alt=/ /></a><a href=http://s845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/?action=view?t=12cdcf0a.pbw target=_blank><img src=http://pic.photobucket.com/slideshows/btn_viewallimages.gif alt=/ /></a> <br /> <br /> <br />I also have the genealogy bug! I've been tracing my roots for at least 10 years. One branch came to America just after the Mayflower in the early 1600s. Others came in the early 1700s, late 1890s. So, my American roots run pretty deep and I am deeply patriotic. Just wish someone had thought to same me some land!</p>