Recipe by Catpaladin
Using Rice Bran oil makes a very light deep fry. RB Oil has a high smoke temperature and can be reused up to 10 times. It is also loaded with nutrition compared to other fry oils. (It's considered a nutraceutical. I discovered it via Google.) Prep and Cooking time will vary. I have a small electric deep fryer so it took awhile to cook all the batches. I only added 6 string beans at a time. Same with the Okra. Otherwise, the vegetables will drift and stick together.
- rice bran oil
- 1 cup beer
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lb fresh green beans
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat Rice Bran oil or other high temperature oil to 375 degrees F.
- Whisk the beer, flour, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Let mixture sit for a little bit (can be made ahead).
- Trim green bean ends and/or caps off okra (If using okra use only smaller young pods).
- Dip green beans and/or okra into the batter to coat, letting excess drip off. (I use a strainer).
- Fry in the oil in batches, until they are golden and crisp.
- Remove from oil with a strainer to a paper towel lined plate or cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper. I use fresh ground pepper and fresh ground coarse salt.
- After finding I had extra batter left over, I added cinnamon and raw cane sugar to the batter and split some regular eating bananas -- battered them up and fried them too. Added drizzle of honey and scoop of vanilla ice cream -- and Viola! Tasty dessert with no hint of the aforementioned green beans nor okra.