Recipe by gailanng
This dish is based on umami, which is popularly referred to as savoriness. It is one of the five basic tastes together with sweet, sour, bitter, and salty. Marinade for at least 1 hour, but up to 24 hours. From NPR.
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup dark beer
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of, plus 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sriracha garlic sauce, plus more as condiment
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 lbs New York strip steaks or 2 lbs rib eye steaks, cut crosswise in 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 red jalapeno chile, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch green onion, white and green parts thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1⁄3 cup sesame seeds, lightly toasted
- 2 cups basmati rice, cooked
- 1 -2 head green leaf lettuce, leaves separated, washed and dried
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- For the marinade, whisk together soy sauce, beer, garlic, sugar, 2 tablespoons lime juice, Sriracha and sesame oil in a large bowl. Add meat and toss to coat. Let sit at room temperature 1 hour or refrigerate covered up to 24 hours.
- To Prepare Condiments. Toss carrot with remaining lime juice and salt in a small bowl and set aside. Place peppers, green onions, mint, cilantro, sesame seeds, sriracha and rice in individual serving bowls. Arrange lettuce on a platter.
- To Prepare the Steak: Heat peanut or vegetable oil in a skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. Add beef strips in batches in one layer without overcrowding. Brown on both sides. Transfer to a platter and keep warm.
- Once all the beef has been browned, pour the remaining marinade and any collected meat juices into the skillet. Bring to a boil, scraping up any bits and reduce until somewhat thickened. Pour into a small bowl.
- To serve, top a lettuce leaf with a few spoonfuls of rice, 1-2 meat strips, and a spoonful of the marinade reduction. Sprinkle with the other condiments and drizzle with sriracha. Roll up and eat.