This was given to me by our Australian exchange student whose family came from Jakarta. It is wonderful with plain rice, especially good with jasmine rice and great all on it's own!
- 1 lb flank steak, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 6 candle nuts or 6 cashew nuts, slightly crushed
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 2 pieces fresh ginger, minced (1/4 inch thick)
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sesame seed oil
- 2 cups water
- Slice steak thinly and set aside.
- Brown the onions, garlic,ginger and candle nuts in the peanut oil.
- Add the meat slices and water chestnuts, cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce and water and cook for at least 35 minutes.
- Salt and pepper may be added to taste.
- Serve over jasmine rice or plain rice.