Recipe by billikers
Good with rice and frozen mixed Asian vegetables. From Woman's Day, June 20 2006.
Top Review by celticsunrise
I substituted asparagus tips for the scallions - so delicious! A hint - if you happen to have any leftovers, leave them on the toothpicks to microwave - otherwise they'll unroll.
- 12 scallions, ends trimmed
- 1 -1 1⁄4 lb thin-cut top round steak (4)
- 3⁄4 cup classic stir-fry sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Microwave scallions in a loosely covered pie plate on HIGH for 1 minute to soften.
- Place each steak between sheets of plastic wrap. Gently pound until about 8x6-inches and 1/8-inch thick. Lay 3 scallions down length of each piece; tightly roll up from a long side. Secure with wooden toothpicks. Put in a large ziptop bag.
- Stir sauce, sugar and water in a microwave-safe bowl until sugar dissolves. Add 1/3 cup of mixture to bag; refrigerate 30 minutes or up to 1 hour.
- Heat outdoor grill or stovetop grill pan. Grill negamaki 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Discard marinade.
- Remove picks; trim ends of negamaki, then cut alternately straight across and diagonally in 2-inch lengths.
- Microwave sauce in a bowl to heat; serve with negamaki.