Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Besides a very pretty and elegant presentation, this is SO simple to make. The beef is really tender and juicy. Edited 20/05/08 - Recently found a wonderful substitute on Zaar for the avo/mayo blend used in this dish, thanks to Sharon for Avocado Mayonnaise (202316).
- 1 lb filet of beef, whole
- 1 pint red wine (use a good wine, don't spoil your dish with plonk)
- black pepper, course ground
- 8 -10 asparagus spears
- butter lettuce
- 2 ounces avocado dip
- 2 ounces mayonnaise
- fresh herb (to garnish) (optional)
- nasturtium petals (to garnish) (optional)
- Place fillet in a baking dish and pour wine over.
- Sprinkle with pepper.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40-45 minutes.
- Cook asparagus until tender.
- Refresh with cold water.
- Arrange lettuce leaves on a large round platter.
- Slice fillet thinly and roll each slice around an asparagus spear.
- Arrange on lettuce (like the spokes of a wheel).
- Mix dip and mayonnaise together and spoon over beef.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and nasturtiums.
Wow! Great combination of excellent flavors. I garnished with lots of dill weed (I love dill) and it just popped. Next time I think I will try it with cilantro, that should go really nice with the avocado.