Recipe by lasagna-o-holic
This looks so yummy I just have to cook it and share it with everyone. I just love winter food like this! Best served with a green salad.
- 2 medium eggplants, sliced thickly (600g)
- 2 tablespoons coarse cooking salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped coarsely
- 1 medium red capsicum, chopped coarsely
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 500 g mincemeat
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine (125ml)
- 400 g whole tomatoes
- 1 cup firmly packed fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup polenta
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Place eggplant in colander, sprinkle salt all over, leave 30 min, rinse then drain.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in medium frypan; cook onion, capsicum and garlic, stirring until onion softens; add beef, cook stirring until beef browns.
- Add paste, cook stirring for 2 minutes; add wine, cook stirring 5 minutes; add undrained tomatoes; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until liquid is almost evaporated. Chop 1/4 of the basil coarsely and add along with the oregano.
- Preheat oven to moderate heat (180°C)(350°F).
- Cook eggplant on heated oiled grill plate until just browned.
- Meanwhile, combine stock and milk in medium saucepan; bring to a boil; gradually add polenta, stirring constantly; reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes or until polenta thickens.
- Using 3 litre dish, layer 1/2 eggplant, then 1/2 beef mixture, repeat then top with remaining basil; spread polenta on top then sprinkle with cheese.
- Cook, uncovered, in moderately hot oven about 20 minutes or until top is browned lightly.
- Stand 10 minutes before serving.