Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 30 mins
This is one of my favourite cakes--one my mom would often makes. Bee sting cakes are popular in South Africa. Its a sponge cake which has a custard filling. Also this one is special because it has a almond topping as well. This cake takes some time but is well worth the effort.
- Cake method.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Sift flour and baking powder. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Add sifted dry ingredients alternating with milk. Spread batter into a greased and floured 22cm loose bottomed cake tin.
- Topping method.
- Combine all ingredients in a pot and heat until sugar has dissolved over medium heat. Pour over cake and spread evenly. Bake in oven for 35 minutes or centre of skewer comes clean.
- Custard method.
- While cake is in oven make filling.
- Scald milk and cream. Beat egg yolks with sugar until light and creamy. Add cornflour and vanilla extract; then slowly add scalded milk and cream. Cook on top of double boiler stirring until mixture thickens. Stir in butter and set aside to cool.
- Once cake is cool split cake in three layers carefully and sandwich together with custard.